Saturday 20 January 2018

Internship -OBG

It was on 10th March,after final year mbbs results came out ,I was on top of cloud 9 being the first batch of my college to pass out and start internship not knowing how hectic that 1 year is gonna be like..For my batch it was major posting first..It all started with OBG..One subject that I hated the most..
I had always known of the bitchy, inquisitive,gossip hungry nature of staffs in the Obg department,wards,labour theatres and never ever wished in my dreams to become one..
But still I had respect for them since they are the doctors who have maximum pressure as they take care of the mother and baby's life at the same time..

We had some amazing staffs initially when my college started who were very dynamic and created an interest in the subject by making us watch the procedure and do at the same time..But as we became interns most of them left and we were left with the budding junior obstetricians ..They were amazing doctors too but were overburdened with duties and taking classes due to lack of staffs and poor payment by the hospital management due to which many had left..Inspite of all this,they made sure that we learned how to deliver babies vaginally,apply sutures on the perineum and assist OPD procedures in gynaecology..

The most busiest 2 months posting started with 1 month OPD and LABOUR THEATRE EACH..After frequent morning rounds,OPD used to be busy with 40-50 cases per day in mornings where our dear professors used to make us write case sheets,do GPE of each patients,pap smear,colposcopy,few IUD insertion and removal, speculum  examination ..This was followed by afternoon gossips of our department ranging from different topics under the sun😍 ..Then came the night duties every 4-5 days ,with ANC  admissions with multigravidas,primigravidas,ectopic pregnancies with many delivering at night and next day where we don't get time to change out dress and freshen up for next days rounds for writing notes and gearing up for questions..
After 1 months the busiest and unforgettable LT posting started which has transformed us all into really tough medicos.There was not a second where me and my cointern couldn't sit peaceful there with the Cather insertions,IV cannula insertion etc...It was also too busy since my cointern's mother passed away due to carcinoma breast and he had to take leave,so we all did more duties(I missed his presence really badly☹️)..Lots of admissions from OPD like fibroid,uterine prolapse,fistula,primigravidas,multigravidas who come for safe confinement besides the emergency cases coming to LT..The most inspiring person is our superwoman mam who made  all of us assist  deliveries inspite of being 8 months pregnant(she also had safely delivered her healthy baby in one of our night duties)..I can never forget the first night duty where I got badly whacked by you mam on my occipital region of the head for not writing a case sheet properly😂😂.


I will always remember the day when my profs made me assist for vesicovaginal fistula,ectopic pregnancy,hysterectomy,15-20 normal vaginal deliveries & the scariest abruptio placenta which gave nightmares to our OBG and paediatric department

.This busy posting  made me realise that I'm not fit for being an obstetrician due to my anxiety,apprehension, tremors while suturing,anger outburst and also my silly mood swings..But looking back I feel I have learned a lot from here as a doctor..Thanks to our OBG department for treating us so lavishly for our hardwork😍

No comments:

Post a Comment